Monday, June 2, 2008

Soup de Jour = Friends and Good Food*


When I was younger, my sisters and I had a nanny who often ate lentil bean soup. Brown and murky looking, I never did see the appeal in it until I mustered up enough courage to try it one day. The subtle thickness of the broth, the chalkiness of the beans—hmmm I became a fan in minutes.
Excited to hear that my class and I were going to be making a vegetarian version of the soup at the Husky Den, I was even more excited to work with some of my classmates. For the first time all quarter long I got to socialize with Sarah and Deirdre in the kitchen. Together the three of us gathered our ingredients and snagged a great spot on the counter for peeling and chopping. Collectively we read and proceeded with the directions: finely chopping the onions, carrots, celery, and heating a skillet to sauté our vegetables, cutting potatoes and slicing garlic. As we checked off each step as it was completed, I realized that making soup didn’t have to be terribly difficult—and it actually was a great activity to do with others. Often times I stand staring at the soup isle wondering what processed can of deliciousness will satisfy me the most, and often times I ask myself while staring, “why don’t you just make it yourself?” Never once have I bucked up enough courage to make a pot of homemade soup from scratch nor have I thought about inviting some friends over to make it with me.
Working alongside Sarah and Deirdre I once again realized what a social connection making food could be. Looking back at the activity, one could certainly say that making soup acted as our icebreaker activity while trying to get to know each other better. Conversation flowed smoothly as we stirred and sautéed, cooperation and teamwork happened inadvertently—it wasn’t forced because the three of us were there to make soup together. All and all it ended up being a great afternoon. I unfortunately didn’t get the opportunity to try our homemade soup because I had to leave class before we finished, but while I participated in the very beginning of the process, I realized just how great making your own food from scratch was. With a little effort, time and help from some friends, a pot of homemade soup is only an hour away. No more commodified tastes from canned soup, and no more processed meats or vegetables are necessary to satisfy my hunger. Say goodbye to excess sodium, high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrated oils. My soup will come from fresh produce, meats and hard work. Here’s a soup to try in case I’ve inspired you:

Cabbage and White Bean Soup with Prosciutto

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 fresh or canned plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 small head Savoy cabbage (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1-inch squares (about 5 cups)
1 quart water
2 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 cups drained and rinsed canned white beans, preferably cannellini (from one 19-ounce can)
1/4 pound sliced prosciutto, chopped

In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Add the cabbage, water, broth, rosemary and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
Stir in the beans and simmer until just warmed through, about 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle the prosciutto over the top.
But you can certainly substitute regular green cabbage here if you prefer.
Picture by:http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/images/20070419-ctb-tuscan-bean.jpg

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I remember how you girls were so grossed out by my lentil soup! The only time I buy cans of it now are for earthquake kits. I love your description of making soup with friends. I'm inspired to start the ritual of soup-making again, especially on a cold winter day with lots of hearty vegetables and squashes.