Friday, April 18, 2008

My Attempt At Lasagna*


I have nostalgia for my mother’s lasagna. Layers of al dente pasta in between a mixture of ricotta, mozzarella, herbs, pesto, chunks of spicy sausage and sauce would bulge from each level, until it was stacked to the top of the baking dish ready for the oven. Hearty, filling, rustic, and delicious, second helpings were always a must and leftovers the next day were something to look forward to. When I moved away from home it was my mission to recreate my mother’s lasagna because I craved to eat something that reminded me of her cooking. So, off to the store I went with a shopping list in hand eager to do just that—recreate the lasagna but only to find myself disappointed with my end result. First and foremost, it was the most unappetizing thing I had ever made. Baked in an oval like dish, the sides weren’t sturdy, it almost appeared runny and well, it didn’t look like my mom’s. Nowhere near perfection I was however rather impressed with the taste, although it didn’t taste like my mother’s. Doesn’t everything always taste better when you mom makes it? I have not attempted to bake another lasagna since although I should try at least one more time. I think however I’ll just wait until I see her again—it will be my first request for dinner!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Oh sweetie - help your mother create that lasagna! Work with her, listen to any stories she has to tell and watch how she does everything. Recreating food is so much more than the ingredients - its the method and personality of that particular cook. Once you've captured that, you've captured the dish!

You have now giving me an idea for my next post - Thank you! :)

Best of luck and eating!

~Lori (I sit closest to the door in class)

Katherine said...

So true Lori, thank you! It truly is more than the ingredients and I know my mom would be happy to go over her lasagna with me again. She truly is wonderful in the kitchen! Thanks so much for commenting--see you in class!