Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Relationship with Cereal

Cereal, commonly known as a breakfast food, made it's way into my life when I was just a little girl. There were Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and another cereal in which my sisters and I called, "Mommy's cereal" (although for the life of me I can't remember the actual name); all of which were a good, balanced way to start the morning that my parents approved of. As I got older I veered off and started eating more sugary cereal, but that eventually died off as I entered high school.
Long story short, cereal has become a food I eat morning, noon and night. I enjoy cooking, as my parents religiously prepared meals for us as kids, but as a college student who starts work at 5:30AM and then goes to school, the effort to bake or make a meal sometimes just isn't there. SO... I venture off into my cabinet to grab the cereal box and with a dash of milk later, I curl up on my bed and chow down! I don't think I can say that cereal defines me, however it is apart of my life wherever I am. To me it is my comfort food, something I can eat two or three bowls of without feeling guilty. That in a nut shell is my relationship with cereal. Awww, it's amazing!

3 comments:

Seth said...

Where is the best bargain for cereal and milk & what keeps energy up? The of them both have kept me away and on a steady diet of rice & beans.

Seth said...

I should really look at my comments before posting them - to be a bit more clear: What cereals curb appetite the best? OH, and what kept me away from the cereal and milk combo was the 'price' (missing word in original post)

Katherine said...

True the price will get you, but it's a sacrifice you have to be willing to make!!! The cereal that I find most satisfying is straight up bran flakes. I know that may sound boring but it's made with whole grain, it's high in fiber, cholesterol free with lots of vitamins. What's also great about it, is you can add fruit like: blueberries, bananas, raspberries, you get the idea, which makes the cereal more hearty--filling you up!
It's my #1!!!